Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Azorean Bull Fight

With summer time in the Azores comes bull-fighting season. They have a large arena where they have a few bull fights but most of them are done in the streets in small towns around the island. Americans are allowed to observe all they want but we cannot participate - not that Jared or I would want to.
There are four bulls that will be released in an evening. They block off both ends of a street and let one bull out of the cage at one end of the street at a time. The bull has long ropes tied around its neck and it is allowed to run up and down the street while the locals taunt the bull with t-shirts, umbrellas, etc. The bulls get pretty angry and you often see the locals in the street hoping fences and porch walls for safety. People get hurt too - I sure don't want to mess with an angry bull.
Jared and I went to one last year and the first fight of the season this year. Always an interesting experience if not a little hard to describe. I'm sure Jared would do a better job. Here are some pictures of the fight in April.
FYI - they don't kill the bulls here in Portugal - only in Spain.

No comments: